Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The horror of basketball


(hold shift and click pictures to enlarge in a new window)

It was the last point of the last game we were playing that night and the ball was in my hands. As the ball left my hands, I suddenly felt this sharp pain in my eye and immediately lost sight in my left eye. Apparently Mark Yapp, with his 'don't want to lose' style of playing, flew from across the court and managed to get a finger or probably two on the ball. Eyeball that is. All in all, my eye was cut and both internal and external bleeding occurred. I had to see a doctor (no pun intended) to patch up my eye in order to prevent any further infections.

I'm telling you, it sure sucks to not have sight in one eye. Living just becomes a chore. How I pity blind people, even if only partially blind. After 2 days, the patch came off but my sight was still abit fuzzy so I couldn't really drive. Many thanks to my buddies Frank and Ron for facilitating transport for me during this period. I really appreciate their help.

The funniest thing about this whole incident was that when Richard told me that Mark was joining us for basketball I said these words to him, "I don't have anything against him but it's just that every time he plays, somebody gets injured somehow." Haha... Who would've thought that person would be me. Irony can be such a bloody bastard sometimes.

Anyways, bygones be bygones. I don' hold any grudges against Mark nor do I seek to gain vengeance. Of cos that's not to say that I will play basketball with him again anytime soon. Least ways, not until my eye heals completely. I'm just really thankful to God that He did not take away half my sight. It just goes to show that we are not as invincible as we sometimes think we are. We do and always will need God in our lives.

~Slick~

0 comments: