Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Korean food

A couple of days ago I joined a couple of my colleagues for lunch and they decided that we should go for Korean food. Don't ask me which one i went to, cos there's only one in Brunei and it's in Kiulap. Though it was my first time trying Korean food, I was game because I like to test the limits of my stomach sometimes and I must say that it was........................unusual to say the least.

For one thing, we had to sit on the floor since the tables were only about 2 feet off the ground. That being said, you can see why it was so uncomfortable for me what with my long legs and all. Bleh! I can't remember all the names of the food but I did take a few pictures. Take a gander below...




One thing that I noticed is that they always seem to give you more than what you ordered. The pictures above were just what we ordered for everyone to share. Meals always come with appetizers and complementary refills (up to a certain extent) All that topped off with our a la carte orders makes for a VERY hearty meal. And being the only guy there, I was given the priviledge(???) of finishing everything. Burrrrp! Not to mention all the "auntie" talk I was forced to listen to. *I swear, if one more person says that I'm too skinny and needs to eat more otherwise no girl would want me as a bf, I'm not gonna be responsible for my resulting actions*

A word of advise here, If you don't like spice or sour stuff then I suggest that you don't ever try Korean food because it's all basically spicy AND sour. Kim-chee, Yum! However, if you choose to ignore my first warning and go there anyway, please take heed to my next warning... You paying attention?

DON'T ORDER WHAT I ORDERED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're thinking that you're in for a real treat if you order their Korean noodles or more commonly known as "Kor-yun" then you're mistaken. TERRIBLY MISTAKEN!

What you will get is a packet of Maggie Mee Kari with spring onions and an egg beaten into the soup. There's nothing Korean about it at all. It probably wasn't even cooked by the Korean chef. My colleagues were debating that it wasn't really Maggie but I am a veteran Maggie mee eater. Maggie with soup, kolo-maggie, fried maggie, maggie keropok; I've tried it all so I know maggie when I see it. Who are they trying to kid?

The worst part was having to pay $3.50 for it. Being the logistics person for youth camps, I know my prices. So, let's do the math. One bundle of spring onions = $1. Averaging about 10 sticks per bundle that = 10 cents for one spring onion. One egg carton costs about $4.80 and contains 30 eggs. That = 16 cents per egg. Maggie mee always comes in packs of 5 and costs $1.50. That = 30 cents per packet. Tap water = free. Put it all together and it comes to 56 cents for the whole dish. I paid $3.50 for it. *Bloody ripoff*

At least one thing I liked out of the whole time I was there were the metal chopsticks. For some reason I just couldn't stop playing with them. It isn't everyday that you can play with flat, metal chopsticks. Haha...

My rating for Korean food in Brunei - 2 out of 10

~Slick~

0 comments: